Monday, September 10, 2012

A Noble Attempt at a Doublet

So, as we all know, I had a decent list for Faire this year, and I didn't meet all of my deadlines, but I certainly came close and I enjoyed every moment of it!

So, the biggest one that I completed in my last moment frenzy was the Doublet and Slops...Well, sortof completed. I started with the patterns...


In hopes of something that looked like this, but fancier;


Fail, but here is what I got.

First, I realized that the worst part would be cutting picadils, I wanted tabs on the skirting and the sleeve caps, which may have been why it ended up looking so silly. So I cut out roughly 40 picadils (that is 80 little rectangles of fabric people)...



So after that, I put together the main part of the doublet and started constructing sleeve caps...



It was an ordeal, to say the least! The sleeve caps and skirting are lined with the red fabric, and the picadils were sewn onto the tops of those, then the entire piece was sewn to the doublet body.

Ending with...



Excuse the hoop skirt, it may or may not be permanently attached to the dress form at this point. But after some gold trim and the pretty gold frog closures, I realized that I made a christmas elf costume...But there wasn't time to scratch it so I made the pants and viola...



As I said, I'm not very happy with it, so I'll do some tweaking and call it finished for now but it won't live for very long. And the slops need to be redone so...We shall see.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment